Saturday, December 6, 2014

Artist Research: Amy Brown





Although I think she is less dynamic than other artists I've researched, I think Amy Brown has a certain quality to her work that I admire. She handles watercolor beautifully and her designs for fairy wings appear to be endless. I'm not really a fan of her paintings of just individual fairies, but I do like her work that incorporates some sort of background and narrative.





One could argue that her paintings have no real "substance" and are lacking conceptually, but I think certain aspects of her work (clothing designs, fairy wings) are actually quite creative and unique to her. While her work isn't very realistic, she has a distinct style that is fairly attractive. I like her detailed linework and the way she paints hair flowing in the wind.



Although I prefer the dark fairy art of Brian Froud, Brown's work has a sort of mass appeal to it, which is why you tend to see much of it on t-shirts and posters.

No comments:

Post a Comment